The Wall Street Journal reported last week that the Biden administration was in talks to offer families separated at the border in 2018 about $450,000 a person in compensation. Asked about the story by Fox News’ Peter Doocy on Wednesday, President Joe Biden called the report “trash” and “garbage” and that it wasn’t going to happen.

On Thursday, however, White House Deputy Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said the Justice Department was still in talks about the payments but said it was the $450,000 figure that Biden was dismissing as “garbage.” Biden was “perfectly comfortable” making compensation payments, though.

In response, Rep. Tom McClintock has introduced the Illegal Immigrant Payoff Prohibition Act of 2021.

It sounds like the Justice Department is in talks with the ACLU, which sounds like it plans to sue unless it can reach some kind of settlement.

Sen. Ted Cruz has a suggestion:

So are payments happening or not? CNN reported that $450,000 payments aren’t happening, but Biden “did not go into detail about any possible monetary settlements for them.” So that “garbage” Wall Street Journal report was probably true, and the Justice Department is negotiating down from $450,000.

Related:

Recommended Twitchy Video