Last week, the Wall Street Journal published a report saying that the U.S. was in talks to offer $450,000 per person to families who were separated at the border in 2018. Questioned about the report Wednesday by Fox News’ Peter Doocy, President Joe Biden called it “garbage” — although as Joe Concha noted, no one from the White House had disputed the report since it was published.

On Thursday, White House Deputy Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said the Justice Department was still in talks about the payments but said it was the $450,000 figure that Biden was dismissing as “garbage.”

ACLU official AnthonyBiden Romero told the Wall Street Journal in its follow-up piece Thursday morning that Biden “may not have been fully briefed about the actions of his very own Justice Department” and that the Justice Department had assured the ACLU that talks were continuing.

The Justice Department is apparently talking with the ACLU about what sort of settlement these families will be paid.

Related:

Recommended Twitchy Video