As we told you last night, the White House is considering holding a military parade in Washington, D.C. to honor the men and women of the U.S. armed forces.
And as you might imagine, liberal Twitter has a lot to say on the matter. It’s still early, but here are 10 of the most unhinged reactions we’ve seen so far.
1. Actor Patton Oswalt: Now do the Dow from the day Trump was inaugurated, not the past week or so.
The DOW is plummeting, the government is about to shut down…
a president: cn we has a parade for Me
— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) February 7, 2018
2. Author David Rothkopf: Trump is “afraid” to visit war zones.
Am I only one that thinks part of the reason Trump has this vainglorious dictator parade fantasy is he's so afraid of visiting war zones?
— David Rothkopf (@djrothkopf) February 7, 2018
3. Chess champ and Putin critic Garry Kasparov: “Soviet-style”:
Trump wants a Soviet-style military parade, something weak leaders do to try to look strong. https://t.co/HmL7TVGDnV
— Garry Kasparov (@Kasparov63) February 6, 2018
4. Clint Watts, Senior Fellow @FPRI: It’s about Trump’s “ego.”
This is fantastically dumb. With everything on our military right now, more than 15 yrs of war, we are doing this to feed Trump’s ego. https://t.co/nbdCs52drx
— Clint Watts (@selectedwisdom) February 6, 2018
5. Biran Klass, Fellow @LSEGovernment: “Wannabe despot.”
Trump’s wannabe despot checklist:
✓Call press “enemy of the people”
✓Call to jail political opponents
✓Fire people investigating you
✓Politicize law enforcement
✓Lie to boost cult of personality
✓Host strongman military parade
— Brian Klaas (@brianklaas) February 7, 2018
6. Actor George Takei: Trump’s “overcompensating.”
Just as screaming "no collusion!" at every opportunity is not how an innocent person acts, so a large military parade displaying our military might for all to see is not how a strong person acts.
Overcompensating much, Donald?
— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) February 7, 2018
7. Jesse Ferguson, former Hillary spox: “Puerto Rico.”
450,000 American citizens still don't have power in Puerto Rico.
Trump is demanding the military throw him a parade. https://t.co/jPtlolD4aG
— Jesse Ferguson (@JesseFFerguson) February 7, 2018
8. Mother Jones: “Deferments.”
— Mother Jones (@MotherJones) February 7, 2018
9. Deborah Hyde, Editor @TheSkepticMag: Trump wants to “wave his willy.”
The President of the United States wants to wave his willy just like they do in North Korea & Russia. The dignity-police have been alerted. Even @thedailymash couldn't make this up: https://t.co/fOiJnt6N65
— Deborah Hyde (@jourdemayne) February 7, 2018
10. Rachel Maddow: Unlike government-provided health care which is free, the government-provided parade will cost “millions.”
— Sarah Reese Jones (@PoliticusSarah) February 7, 2018
President Trump's idea for a military parade has at least one supporter among the detractors https://t.co/BpOvnIcLAg
— Twitchy Team (@TwitchyTeam) February 7, 2018