Detroit Police Officer and Sergeant Face Firing for Breaking Policy and Tipping Off...
America Owns Hockey: US Women Win OT Gold, Leave Canada Spiraling and Seething
Absentee Mom's Illegal Stay Leads to Daughter's Disney Visit Ending in 4-Month ICE...
Renee Good Memorial Burned in Firey but Mostly Peaceful Incident
Absurd Tara Palmeri Goes Nuclear: Accuses Michael Tracey of Being Paid to Smear...
Wife of Illegal Who Killed Georgia Teacher Says What Happened, Happened
WaPo: Some Say Atlantic Story ‘Felt Misleading’ Once They Learned It Was Made...
Elmo Wishes Ramadan Mubarak to All of His Friends
Brian Stelter: ABC News Has Admirably Insulated The View From Equal Time Rules
China's 'Killer Robots' Terrify Americans on X — Until Everyone Realizes It's Just...
WaPo: Dancers Reenact Shootings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti in Front of...
Bodies Buried at Epstein Ranch? New Mexico Allegedly Opens Disturbing Probe
President Trump to Obama: You Just Gave Classified Info on Aliens – Big...
'Insanity'! Here Are Some of NYC Mayor Mamdani's Spending Priorities (While Slashing the...
GOP WIN! Virginia Judge Grants Temporary Restraining Order Against Democrats' Illegal Gerr...
Premium

Planters has suspended its 'Death of Mr. Peanut campaign as people were sensitive following Kobe Bryant's death

As we dutifully reported here at your news leader last week, the beloved spokes-cot for the Planters organization, Mr. Peanut had passed away. This loss of such a beloved corporate icon sent shockwaves through the country.

The company is taking the loss hard and, in a not at all piece of PR genius, they have put up on the Twitter account the announcement of its passing.

As it turns out the road to Super Bowl ”The Big Game” advertising glory is not exactly paved with dollars. Real-life has intervened. The tragic announcement this Sunday of the accidental death of basketball superstar Kobe Bryant has led the company to halt further activity with the campaign.

A few people managed to take offense with the fact that they witnessed some lingering spots on social media.

Now it may initially strike some as odd that a faux death scene for a nonexistent entity would be deemed to be regarded as insensitive. But once you consider that much of the social media activity surrounding the Mr. Peanut campaign involved people, and even other companies, lending ”condolences” it meant that these levity-filled tributes were colliding with the genuine sentiments being sent out regarding Bryant.

The company told Ad Week that in deference to the events with Kobe they were going to pause the campaign. The account is still up and active, but there has been no activity since the weekend.

Planters has paused all campaign activities, including paid media, and will evaluate next steps through a lens of sensitivity to those impacted by this tragedy,” said a spokesperson for the brand over email.

The planned Supe–…  ”Big Game” commercial spots will still run this Sunday. It has been reported that this will involve the funeral for Mr. Peanut.

 

Recommended

Trending on Twitchy Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement