Prosecutor Reveals Karmelo Anthony Fantasized About Stabbing Someone and Licking Blood Off...
Time to Clutch the Pearls: Jake Tapper Is BIG MAD at Pete Hegseth...
Golden State Fleece: Newsom Bravely Bears the ‘Grief’ for Taxpayer-Funded Illegal Alien He...
Talarico, Desperate for Black Votes, Invents a Brand-New Legal Standard for Killer Karmelo...
SHOCKING! You'll Never Guess Where the NYC DSA Chair Lives ... and Who...
Newsom Got Caught Thinking Nobody Would Notice What He Let Slip
Bill Melugin Takes Dem Staffer APART in Back and Forth Over How Dumb...
Journo Luke Rosiak Warned His Fairfax Neighbors About Murder on NextDoor (Guess What...
Mike Rogers Just Seriously One-Upped Abdul El-Sayed at His Press Conference and OH...
Monica Crowley Used Eric Swalwell's Poorly Aging Words Against Him and He REALLY...
Independent Women's Voice Shows What a DSA Future Would REALLY Look Like in...
Democrats Declare ‘Blue Wave’ ... After Sweeping Their Own Primaries and X Has...
Uh Oh! Looks Like Eric Swalwell's Troubles Just Got Worse
People Are LOVING Laura Ingraham's SLAM on Abigail Spanberger After Illegal Murders Virgin...
Calif. Dem Comms Guy Gets Ratioed Into Orbit After Calling Nick Shirley a...

'You own this, @POTUS': State Dept. reportedly believes up to 14K US LPRs are still stranded in Afghanistan

Late last month, Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl told GOP Sen. Joni Ernst that “we did not leave Americans behind” in Afghanistan.

Advertisement

We knew then that he was lying through his teeth.

And now, it looks like we’ve got confirmation:

More from Foreign Policy:

The State Department believes as many as 14,000 U.S. legal permanent residents remain in Afghanistan, Foreign Policy has learned, as the agency faces increasing scrutiny from Congress about the status of U.S. citizens and green card holders that are still stranded in the Taliban-controlled country.

The finding, disclosed by a congressional aide familiar with the matter, has been transmitted by the State Department to aides on Capitol Hill in private, but officials demurred on revealing the figure when questioned by Republican lawmakers on Wednesday, insisting the agency doesn’t track the figure.

Lawmakers have criticized the State Department for being too slow to release specific numbers on how many citizens, legal permanent residents, and Afghans who supported the U.S. war effort remain in the country. Administration officials said the numbers are difficult to track and constantly shifting while infuriated U.S. lawmakers charge the administration is failing in its duty to keep track of the statistics or is keeping the full scope of people left behind under wraps. In the month after the U.S. withdrawal, the State Department repeatedly said there were around 100 U.S. citizens still in the country seeking to leave—until it revealed in recent weeks there were around 400 people.

Advertisement

How do we know that 14,000 isn’t also a gross underestimate?

So are we.

We won’t.

Advertisement

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Twitchy Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement