Judge Blocks Trump Administration's Plan to Move FBI Out of Hoover Building
“Tails Between Their Legs: Harry and Meghan’s Shock Move Back to the UK...
Trump Administration Cuts $3 Billion in Refundable Tax Credits for Illegal Aliens
NYT Speaks With Six People to Find Out What 'Sylphlike' Natalie Harp Actually...
Moderation Operation: Is Dem Jessica Tarlov AOC’s One-Woman PR Rep? Sure Seems Like...
Abdul El-Sayed Notes That Jesus Was Considered a Radical in His Time Too
Florida Squeeze: MS NOW’s Morning Joe Crew Fawn Over Latest Democrat DSA Darling...
Daily Beast and Rosie O'Donnell Think an Iranian Assassination Plot Is Enough to...
Former NIAID Adviser Pleads Guilty to Scheme to Hide Records During the COVID...
Harmeet Dhillon Explains What Was Really on Display From CNN's Erin Burnett and...
Spencer Pratt Notices Something Very Curious About How Long 'Democracy' Takes in Certain...
Karen Bass Brags About Forcing Taxpayers to 6x Her Campaign Cash While the...
Western Lensman Breaks Down Bottom-Feeder 'Journalism' From CNN That Helped Dems Smear Nat...
Everything Team Rick Wilson Touches Dies: That’s How Vindman Blew a Race He...
CNN Just Went Too Far and It Backfired
Premium

Federal judge rules against appointment of Ken Cuccinelli, compares it to NBC's 'The Office'

Federal Judge Randy Moss ruled today that Ken Cuccinelli was illegally appointed to head USCIS last year:

And Judge Moss ruled that all of Cuccinelli’s policies enacted from his time leading the agency are now null and void:

Judge Moss compared the situation to the long-running bit on “The Office” where Dwight Schrute calls himself the “assistant regional manager” while Michael Scott refers to him as the “assistant to the regional manager.” Judge Moss ruled that, “. . . either way, that person is, at best, second in command” and “the acting Secretary created a position that is second in command in name only”:

From CNN:

Cuccinelli’s appointment last year immediately raised legal questions over whether he could be placed to lead USCIS without a formal nomination. His official title was principal deputy director, but he was performing the duties of the acting director, an agency official told CNN at the time.

“Cuccinelli may have the title of Principal Deputy Director, and the Department of Homeland Security’s order of succession may designate the office of the Principal Deputy Director as the ‘first assistant’ to the Director. But labels — without any substance — cannot satisfy the FVRA’s default rule under any plausible reading of the statute,” US District Court Judge Randolph D. Moss said in his ruling Sunday.

To support the point, Moss cited in a footnote the popular TV show “The Office,” highlighting a “long-running riff” from the show “between one who serves as ‘the assistant regional manager’ and ‘the assistant to the regional manager.'”

“But either way, that person is, at best, second in command. Here, the acting Secretary created a position that is second in command in name only,” the footnote reads.

This could affect other “acting” directors:

And it’s a big win for the group Democracy Forward that brought the lawsuit:

***

Recommended

Trending on Twitchy Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement