As Twitchy reported, a 17-year-old refugee from Afghanistan was named as the man who attacked train passengers in Germany with a knife and an axe, leaving at least two victims with acute, life-threatening wounds, according to a report Tuesday in Israeli newspaper Harretz.
Among those injured in the attack were four members of a family of five from Hong Kong, with many others treated for shock. Police say that the suspect fled the train, encountered two women walking a dog, and hit one in the face twice with an axe before he was shot by law enforcement.
— Haaretz.com (@haaretzcom) July 19, 2016
Haaretz reports that “people close to the attacker told investigators he had seemed like a calm person, not overtly religious or an extremist.”
However, in a video posted online by Aamaq, the official ISIS news agency, he brandishes a knife and says his name is Muhammad Riyad. He declares, “I have been living with you all the time while planning an attack that will be stronger than the Paris attacks that continue to horrify you to this day. I will keep fighting you as long as I am alive, I will slaughter you with this knife, and I will decapitate you with an axe.”
The Daily Mail reports that Riyad moved to Germany two years ago and for the past two weeks had been living with a foster family in Ochsenfurt, decorating his apartment with a homemade ISIS flag. Germany registered around 150,000 asylum seekers from Afghanistan last year out of more than a million.
What, are you afraid of widows and orphans?
Paging John Kerry! Need MORE proof the ISIS ‘on the run’ claim is BS? https://t.co/Qe9MHNNIKU
— Twitchy Team (@TwitchyTeam) July 19, 2016