Cox Radio’s Jamie Dupree reports that federal officials “are slapping limits on members of the news media who want a glimpse inside” the facilities holding unaccompanied minors who have flooded across the U.S.-Mexico border in recent weeks.
Dupree writes in his Washington Insider blog that, according to an HHS email to journalists, reporters signing up for the 40-minute tour of Fort Sill in Oklahoma “won’t exactly be allowed to do anything related to their jobs while on the tour of the facility.” Not permitted:
- No recording devices allowed for reporters
- No questions from reporters permitted during the tour
- No interactions with staff or children
- No on-site interviews with HHS staff before or after the tour
- No photos of the facility – photographs will be provided by HHS