To get where this is coming from, PRII last week released the results of a poll asking if increased racial diversity has a positive or negative effect on America. For what it’s worth, they titled the report, “American Democracy in Crisis: The Challenges of Voter Knowledge, Participation, and Polarization.”
Pollster Frank Luntz posted that 64 percent of all Americans agree that racial diversity has a positive impact on America; however, only 43 percent of Republicans said positive, as opposed to 85 percent of Democrats.
That inspired Vox’s David Roberts to wonder why white people had never been the subject of a similar poll.
One thing white people have never experienced is a poll on whether their presence in their own country is intrinsically detrimental.
— David Roberts (@drvox) July 24, 2018
And what better place to take a scientific poll than Twitter, right?
Do white people have a positive or negative effect on America?
— David Roberts (@drvox) July 24, 2018
The suspense is killing us, but we’ll have to wait another seven hours to find out the answer. (When we checked, it was 80 percent positive, 20 percent negative.)
Good lord. https://t.co/SMWpNR5h4L
— GayPatriot™️ (@GayPatriot) July 24, 2018
We may have reached Peak Vox. https://t.co/lvLHEKSuzW
— Matt (@BullMoose75) July 24, 2018
Vox really trying to one up Vox https://t.co/x3GunqoO9u
— Ben McDonald (@Bmac0507) July 24, 2018
Inane crap for self-flagellating media parrots, and social climbers. Vote negative for good boy points. https://t.co/S7eflV8aPk
— Baron Zach M. (@ZTMbaronofurga) July 24, 2018
Does this particular white person have a positive or negative effect on America? https://t.co/KigiBlzxFg
— Anthony Bialy (@AnthonyBialy) July 24, 2018
He writes for Vox, so there’s no need for a poll.
Since you write for Vox, home of "explainers," maybe you could find some facts and statistics and let us know? https://t.co/EEEcjNv6Qw
— Blast Clarkcheese (@claudeakinsmask) July 24, 2018
vox with the important questions as always https://t.co/er1bf2owgy
— Joe Gabriel Simonson (@SaysSimonson) July 24, 2018
This is just sad. https://t.co/MmJcewtYcN
— N. Bourbaki (@d08890) July 24, 2018
No one tell David who signed the Declaration of Independence…. https://t.co/TtNGyRJFby
— Gʀᴀʏ Cᴏɴɴᴏʟʟʏ (@GrayConnolly) July 24, 2018
— Jesse Kelly® (@JesseKellyDC) July 24, 2018
So many rich white men — get it away!
Frankly, I don't know what I'd do without me.
— 100 Proof (@ChampionCapua) July 24, 2018
It’s not about color you gigantic dickhead, any human can have a positive or negative effect on society. https://t.co/UVrLRYVTFn
— TrinidadSam Flirt with yo Fish?? (@SSJCheapTwinkie) July 24, 2018
It's not about colour at all. Some white people have a positive effect some have a negative effect. Just like some black people, some Asian people, some Latin people etc. have a positive & negative effect on society. Stop race baiting. https://t.co/2q235KE4E5
— MikeHeadly (@MlKEHEADLY) July 24, 2018
How is this not race baiting prickery? https://t.co/7kSxQteKJa
— Andy Meanie (@AndyMeanie) July 24, 2018
Seriously? Could you imagine the outrage of this poll being posted on twitter if you replaced white people with a racial minority or with an LGBT group etc. This is divisive and not productive at all. https://t.co/g1bsXJszf9
— Dr. t (@Twel864) July 24, 2018
Really tried with this one https://t.co/3rn0R6Q0mN
— Problematic Prerogatives (@PrblmtcPrrgtvs) July 24, 2018
I'll take "things that aren't helping" for $1000, Alex. https://t.co/EueugylG4w
— Mojo Pork (@publixfanacct) July 24, 2018
Well, it depends. Are we including self-loathing bloggers pushing racist polls to virtue signal? https://t.co/xZiiuCnhq0
— Notorious Augusto P (@GenAugustoP) July 24, 2018
Negative, but 95% of said negativity comes from you alone, the other 5% from the rest of the 200M+ demo. https://t.co/xSdarcwVVD
— . (@t4rdi5_) July 24, 2018
Do navel-gazing juice voxers have a positive or negative effect on America? https://t.co/MzANwmwKhf
— Dave S (@suspended_amish) July 24, 2018
Your parents created a negative effect on America. Also, this is peak narrative twitter. https://t.co/QJyF8kCxFq
— J.R.S (@_JRS79) July 24, 2018
This is just straight up racism https://t.co/7cWYr3uCBG
— Vareck The Sarcastic Jew (@Gray_Wolfs76) July 24, 2018
Look at this parody account I found. https://t.co/Wlu15DaBe4
— It wasn't meh (@RightAllTheTime) July 24, 2018
Join me, PLEASE, and pray, PRAY for the detonation of the college bubble, so we can stop being subjected to drivel like this. https://t.co/2u3IKICDOO
— Bobby P (@Panzenbeck) July 24, 2018
Be sure to vote here, too:
Does Vox have a positive or negative effect on America?
— Mujahed (@kebejay) July 24, 2018
TOXIC MASCULINITY: Writer calls for a 'ban on white men' after Toronto mass shooting, but… https://t.co/cxWab73qYx
— Twitchy Team (@TwitchyTeam) July 24, 2018
To change your comments display name, click here.