As Twitchy reported, Donald Trump on Monday night had had enough of questions about the $6 million he claimed his January campaign rally/fundraiser had raised for veterans’ charities, noting several times that he wasn’t obligated to donate anything but did anyway.

It was clear, though, that the critics weren’t satisfied with his claim that “much” of the $5 to $6 million raised had already been distributed. The Washington Post’s David Fahrenthold, assigned to the 2016 campaign, began a Twitter campaign to fill in the gaps in Trump’s claim, earning himself the distinction of being “really a nasty guy.”

Let’s have a look at just a few of those pleas.

That’s a bit more advocacy than most are used to from impartial yet dogged reporting, but it did get results, Farenthold writes:

Trump said in an interview Tuesday that he pledged the $1 million to the Marine Corps – Law Enforcement Foundation. The mogul notified the group’s chairman, retired FBI official James Kallstrom, in a phone call sometime Monday night, according to Kallstrom’s wife, Sue Kallstrom.

Trump’s call to the group came after The Washington Post and other media outlets had questioned whether Trump had actually fulfilled a vow he made in January at an Iowa fundraiser.

When asked if the Monday donation was in response to questions from the news media, Trump said: “You know, you’re a nasty guy. You’re really a nasty guy. I gave out millions of dollars that I had no obligation to do.”

In contrast, Trump in his tweets Monday had declared his personal $1 million donation “Nice!”

So, who’s nasty and who’s nice in this tale?