A 'YUGE' Endorsement: Trump Comes Out in Support of Spencer Pratt, Slams Clown...
WaPo Stomps on a Rake While Alleging Another Outlet's 'Contentious Layoffs' and 'Dwindling...
Joyce Carol Oates Calls Bluesky an ‘Upscale Mall’ — Conservatives Say That’s Exactly...
Dem Sen. Gillibrand Told Sean Duffy She'd Never Flown on Private Jets but...
Carlson Urges Massie to Heroically Name Epstein Names; Replies: ‘Remember What Happened La...
Dem Adviser: What Platner Bragged About Doing Makes Him More Relatable (Apparently Liz...
Former U.S. Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts, Key Architect of Dodd-Frank Act, Dies...
Dem Senate Candidate Graham Platner Mocked Purple Heart Hero: 'Dumb [Expletive] Didn’t Des...
A Glance at Some of the People Upset Thomas Massie Lost Speaks Volumes
It's a Cringe-Off! Gavin Newsom and JB Pritzker Battle Each Other for WORST...
MAGA Vs. Massie: Scott Jennings Delivers Kentucky Republican Incumbent’s Primary Post-Mort...
'Epstein Class': Ro Khanna Flirts With Antisemitism
DC Councilwoman Agrees Curfews Are a ‘Dangerous’ Way to Deal With Teen Takeovers
Unclassy With Massie: Thomas Massie's Concession Jab at Ed Gallrein Shows EXACTLY Why...
Welcoming Cambridge Residents Testify Against 'Racist' Gunshot Detection Service

Breaking: Masked gunmen kill Yemeni security chief at US embassy in Sanaa; Update: Employee was security official, not chief

More from the Associated Press:

The officials say Qassem Aqlani, who was in his fifties, was shot dead while on his way to work early on Thursday. They say a gunman on a motorcycle opened fire at him and fled the scene.

Aqlani had been working for the U.S. Embassy in the Yemeni capital for nearly 20 years.

Advertisement

Reuters reports that multiple masked gunmen opened fire on the U.S. embassy employee. An unnamed source told Reuters, “This (assassination) operation has the fingerprints of al Qaeda which carried out similar operations before.”

The terrorist attack that killed four Americans in at the U.S. embassy in Benghazi occurred one month ago today.

The embassy is not releasing more information until other staff and the family of Qassem Aqlani have been notified.

Reports are coming in that the assassinated employee was a guard at the embassy, not the chief of security.

https://twitter.com/adammbaron/status/256352420928569347

https://twitter.com/Yemen411/status/256351705409658880

Michelle Malkin notes that the assassination took place on the eve of the 12th anniversary of the deadly USS Cole bombing.

Advertisement

Update:

CNN reports that the assassinated security official was leading the investigation into the attack on the U.S. Embassy in Yemen.

Cue the Bush blamers:

Shockah! President Priorities is heading to Miami for more celebrity canoodling tonight.

Update:

More on the murdered embassy employee:

Freelance journalist Adam Baron is based in Yemen. His sources say that contrary to CNN’s report, Qassem Aqlani was not conducting the investigation into last month’s attack and was not on his way to work.

https://twitter.com/adammbaron/status/256458283781599232

https://twitter.com/adammbaron/status/256460798971486208

Advertisement

Update:

Baron deleted his tweets (preserved above) indicating “the embassy worker WAS NOT on way to work, head of security, part of embassy breach investigation.” The tweet complaining of “widely reported misinformation” has not been removed.

Update:

CNN initially reported that Aklan was leading the investigation of last month’s attack on the U.S. embassy in Sanaa. CNN now reports that the U.S. State Department has said that Aklan was not involved in that investigation. According to a Yemeni official, the investigation is being overseen by Interior Minister Abdulkader Qahtan.

Twitchy will monitor this breaking news and update as more information becomes available.

Editor’s note: The headline has been updated to reflect that there was more than one gunman.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Twitchy Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement