Booker Tease Washington: Democrat Senator Flirts With Possible 2028 Presidential Run
Middle Man: Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear Wants Voters to Know He’s Not the...
Irish Band U2 Release Song 'American Obituary' Honoring Renee Good
Detroit Police Officer and Sergeant Face Firing for Breaking Policy and Tipping Off...
America Owns Hockey: US Women Win OT Gold, Leave Canada Spiraling and Seething
Absentee Mom's Illegal Stay Leads to Daughter's Disney Visit Ending in 4-Month ICE...
Renee Good Memorial Burned in Fiery but Mostly Peaceful Incident
Absurd Tara Palmeri Goes Nuclear: Accuses Michael Tracey of Being Paid to Smear...
Wife of Illegal Who Killed Georgia Teacher Says What Happened, Happened
WaPo: Some Say Atlantic Story ‘Felt Misleading’ Once They Learned It Was Made...
Elmo Wishes Ramadan Mubarak to All of His Friends
Brian Stelter: ABC News Has Admirably Insulated The View From Equal Time Rules
China's 'Killer Robots' Terrify Americans on X — Until Everyone Realizes It's Just...
WaPo: Dancers Reenact Shootings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti in Front of...
Bodies Buried at Epstein Ranch? New Mexico Allegedly Opens Disturbing Probe

'We tried': Baltimore Ceasefire aims for 72 hours with no killing, but effort falls short

Newsweek published a typically lopsided report last week on a new survey gauging voters’ attitudes toward Black Lives Matter in 2017. Seventy percent of voters surveyed said black-on-black crime in African-American communities was a bigger issue than police violence against African-Americans.

Advertisement

That perception seems to have played out this weekend in Baltimore, where Baltimore Ceasefire organizer Erricka Bridgeford asked that “nobody kill anybody” for 72 hours straight, starting at midnight Thursday. The Baltimore Sun reports that groups organized more than 40 events over the weekend in connection with the effort.

Still, two people were reported shot and killed Saturday, and another man killed by gunfire was discovered early Monday morning, bringing the number of homicides in Baltimore in 2017 to 211, putting the city on pace to experience the deadliest year in its history.

Advertisement

Organizers are still calling the grassroots effort a success.

Last spring, one day after 20 people had been shot in his city, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel kicked off a similar effort called “Put the Guns Down,” expressing his belief the city could go 24 hours or more without gun violence. Within that time span, 15 were shot, 3 fatally.

* * *

Related:

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Twitchy Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement