With news coming out that a second immigrant youth has died this month following a trek to this country the media and politicians have leapt into accusatory mode. The story, as it is know thus far, is not yet conclusive.

The family had been detained for about one week. Once the child’s condition was in question he was brought to a hospital. After being treated and discharged a short while later his condition worsened. He was returned to the hospital where a short time later he died.

Lacking further details has not stopped Justin Miller, of The Daily Beast, from hurling inflamatory accusations.

This is a journalist, mind you, jumping to conclusions before knowing all the facts. It is a nearly identical scenario to when 7 year old Jakelin Maquin died less than 2 weeks ago. Then press and politicians were accusing neglect and being proven wrong by the facts of her experience.

Justin’s hyperbole has been recognized.

Justin has already had to make clarifying follow up comments.


He did not exactly fix things with that, however.

Wait…this would suggest something akin to selective outrage might be in play! That is hardly seen during the Trump administration. (</Sarcasm font>).

The timeline of events shows something far less dramatic than concentration camp procedures were in play, with agents actually taking action on behalf of the boy’s well being.

Felipe was taken with his father to a hospital in Alamogordo, New Mexico, where he was diagnosed with a common cold, according to the timeline.
The boy was released just before 3 p.m., about 90 minutes after he had been found to have a fever of 103 degrees Fahrenheit (39.4 Celsius), CBP said. He was prescribed amoxicillin and ibuprofen, and taken with his father to a holding facility at a highway checkpoint.
At about 7 p.m., agents helped clean up the boy’s vomit. CBP said the father “declined further medical assistance” then.
The agency said its officers repeatedly conducted welfare checks on Felipe and his father, and that agents decided to take the boy back to the hospital at about 10 p.m. because the boy “appeared lethargic and nauseous again.” He died at 11:48 p.m. Monday, the agency said.

Something about officers keeping constant tabs on the boy’s condition, and then returning him to the hospital to receive additional treatment, strikes as the oppositie of oppressive camp conditions. In fact the CBP states how they routinely bring in migrants for hospital care.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan said Wednesday that the agency has more than 1,500 emergency medical technicians on staff and that officers are taking dozens of sick children to hospitals every day.

These are rather unfortunate details for those like Justin Miller who wish to politicize a tragedy, rather than delve into the factual details in a journalistic fashion.