In case you missed it, editors at Northwestern University’s student newspaper, the Daily Northwestern, recently apologized for some of their reporters decisions to tweet “retraumatizing and invasive” photos from a campus event at which Jeff Sessions spoke. They also apologized for staff — gasp! — using the student directory to contact potential interview subjects and for accurately quoting a student protester who had agreed to be quoted.

Guy Benson, who graduated from Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism, was understandably disgusted by the Daily Northwestern’s “editors’ unseemly and anti-journalistic groveling,” and he wrote about it in a piece at Townhall:

Read the whole thing. The Daily Northwestern’s editors’ conduct was nothing short of shameful.

So it’s incredibly refreshing and heartening to read Medill Dean Charles Whitaker’s response to the Daily Northwestern’s editors’ apology:

Again, be sure to read the whole thing.

Journalism — real journalism — isn’t about caving to activist thugs. It’s about honest and accurate reporting. The Daily Northwestern’s reporters attempted to do journalism and were punished by their editors, who are supposed to uphold the values of real journalism. Good on Whitaker for standing up for reporters who did their jobs.