As Twitchy reported Wednesday night, police had announced that a terror suspect with ties to ISIS had been killed, likely at some point during an hours-long standoff outside the man’s house in the city of Strathroy, Ontario.

Police gave more details on the incident Thursday, and say Wednesday’s action was a race against time. Suspect Aaron Driver, who also went by Harun Abdurahman, was literally days away from detonating a bomb in a crowded area and had recorded a “martyrdom video” warning Canada that it was not safe from retaliation for joining in the fight against the Islamic State.

Reporters confirm that Driver had set off an explosive Wednesday while trying to make a getaway inside a cab and was then taken down by the RCMP.

The National Post reports that Driver, 24, originally from Winnipeg, told the cab driver to take him to Citi Plaza in nearby London, Ontario, but the taxi never made it out of the driveway.

Driver’s father, a retired military officer, told the National Post that he didn’t blame the police for his son’s death: “They way I see it they did what they had to do. He would not surrender. I’m sure they gave him ample chances,” he said. “They did what they had to do so do I blame them? Not at all.”

Driver’s martyrdom video was screened at a press conference. It included references to recent attacks in France and Belgium.

Credit goes to the FBI for tipping off the RCMP to the video.

Related:

Bomb squad on scene of police standoff in Ontario, possible home of ISIS supporter; Suspect dead

Police thwart ISIS-linked bombing plot targeting major Canadian city