Twitchy itself received a shout out — more of a whispered aside, actually — in a piece by Michelle Goldberg published in the Washington Post Friday that claims feminists are beginning to retire from social media rather than endure the “nonstop harassment that feminist writers face online.”
Spring-boarding from Susan Faludi’s 1991 book “Backlash,” Goldberg writes about the transition from print to the digital media of today.
Today’s online backlash may be even more draining. It saps morale and leads to burnout. “You can’t get called a c— day in, day out for 10 years and not have that make a really serious impact on your psyche,” says [Guardian columnist Jennifer] Valenti, who thinks about quitting “all the time.” Just how long can this generation of feminists endure?
Twitchy readers have likely (and correctly) by now assumed that there’s no concern shown for women writers who don’t consider themselves feminists and face an online backlash from both misogynists and feminists. Michelle Malkin certainly receives her share of vulgar name calling from both, with the execrable addition of racist remarks.
But rather than quit from the stress, Malkin founded Twitchy as a means of pushing back against the liberal narrative, rather than ceding the online world of social media to the same voices who dominate the mainstream media.
True enough; Malkin isn’t well qualified when it comes to “whining.”
That’s a good point. The Washington Post might not be aware that the New York Times published an almost identical piece less than a year ago, in which GQ contributor Amy Wallace complained of being called “a prostitute and the C-word” for being a woman writing about controversial subjects. Easier still: click to travel back less than a month to when conservatives including Dana Loesch and Katie Pavlich demonstrated with easily available examples to the “smartest thinkers” at Vox that there’s plenty of hate directed toward conservative women.
The C-word is inexcusable; unfortunately, the other C-word — conservative — can falsely connote to feminists a betrayal of one’s own gender rather a pursuit of one’s own values, a myth that requires an enduring effort to counter and correct. No quitting Twitter here, though; conservative women will fight like girls to ensure their voices are heard over the haters.
Related and growing daily:
- Michelle Malkin calls out double standard in outrage over sexist attacks on female journos
- Lib sickos spew the hate and bile at ‘Uncle Tom,’ ‘f***ing bitch’ Stacey Dash
- Rapper The Game and fans attack ‘racist,’ ‘bitch,’ ‘hoe’ Malkin and Fox News; Fans threaten rape and death
- War on Women: Misogynist Lefties vilely attack Gov. Jan Brewer as ‘bitch,’ ‘ho,’ ‘cunt,’ and ‘hideous’
- No Bullying? Unless it is aimed at Bristol Palin: ‘someone needs to kill Bristol palin stupid ass lil CUNT’
- Elisabeth Hasselbeck makes devastating Benghazi point; HuffPo lies, libs spew foul misogyny
- Exposed: Death-wish Democrat official Allan Brauer’s long history of online hate, misogyny & GOP kid-bashing
- Weaponized misogyny, literally; Bob Beckel: ‘If I was Juan Williams, I’d wake up next to Michelle Malkin with a shotgun’
- ‘Turncoat ass b*tch’: Stacey Dash’s new Fox News gig draws out lefty venom
- Monica Crowley makes Fluke joke, Left responds with vile slurs as usual
- Obama supporters serve up venomous ‘revenge’ to actress Stacey Dash: ‘Die,’ ‘come off porch, house slave’
- Silencing women: Woman-hating Media Matters lies about Michelle Malkin, Left responds with sexist attacks
- War on Women: Van Jones RT urges Stacey Dash to ‘Just keep posing nude babe’
- Obama’s ‘Million Dollar Man’ Bill Maher attacks Bristol Palin again
- ‘Rush Babes for America’ surpasses NOW’s followers, Left responds with misogyny
- War on women: S.C. AFL-CIO President violently smashing Nikki Haley effigy, no regrets; Update: I stand with Haley
- Weaponized misogyny: Hustler punishes S.E. Cupp for pro-life views with explicit fake image
- Calls for NOW to condemn misogynist attack against S.E. Cupp fall on deaf ears; Women need NOW like fish need bicycles
- Roseanne Barr: Defending S.E. Cupp is more disgusting than Photoshopping a penis in her mouth
- Feminism? Amanda Marcotte can’t handle the truth, calls Michelle Malkin ‘brutish and stupid’
- Lizz Winstead thinks Okla. was asking for natural disasters
- Sarah Palin honors D-Day, congratulates Gov. Walker, Lt. Gov. Kleefisch; Left hurls sexist insults
- ‘Just a blogger’ Michelle Malkin vs. ‘real journalist’ David Shuster; Sexist Shuster scores less than zero
- ‘Shut that Jan Brewer bitch up’: Left targets Arizona governor with vile slurs after SCOTUS immigration ruling
- Bam! Mary Katharine Ham slams Obamacare in one tweet (Bonus: Takes sexist Twitter troll to task)