Why? Because morbid curiosity often trumps common sense.

Behold this offering from Salon:

Nice headline, guys.

Writer Andrew O’Hehir is proud of his Irish heritage, “up to a point.” But mostly, he’s repulsed:

On one hand, Irishness is a nonspecific global brand of pseudo-old pubs, watered-down Guinness, “Celtic” tattoos and vague New Age spirituality, designed to make white people feel faintly cool without doing any of the hard work of actually learning anything. On the other, it’s Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Pat Buchanan and Rep. Peter King, Long Island’s longtime Republican congressman (and IRA supporter), consistently representing the most stereotypical grade of racist, xenophobic, small-minded, right-wing Irish-American intolerance. When you think of the face of white rage in America, it belongs to a red-faced Irish dude on Fox News.

Naturally, O’Hehir cites fellow race-obsessive Joan Walsh’s book “What’s the Matter with White People” to support his argument that over time, Irish Americans have “drifted rightward through the Democratic Party and then out the other side into Archie Bunker-land.” And now, Irish Americans are blind to the fact that they’re trapped in “the prison of whiteness.”

O’Hehir’s pretty damn proud of himself.

“White tears”? More like well-deserved smacks:

O’Hehir probably imagines that all the time, what with Fox News harboring all those angry, racist Irish American guys.

https://twitter.com/michaelbd/status/444896969665024000

https://twitter.com/JKP_Discovery/status/444911643672457216

It’s truly terrible.

https://twitter.com/michaelbd/status/444894872542392320

The answer?

Nailed it.

• Steve__Jacobson

Apparently about the time O’Hehir began getting published.

• Marvin Nelson

This idiot is an embarrassment to all Irish Americans, but not to the lapdog media. They probably love him. What an a-hole.

• rennyangel2

They hate the Irish for being too European and too white.

• Sean Barrentine

But they want us to be like Europe..? I’m so confused..

• rennyangel2

But a Europe of color, which they are not and so yearn for–have you noticed that almost all newsies are nearly 100% white, with a very few tokens thrown in here and there on tv, mostly on air, but not support or real reporting or behind the scenes? Is that also maybe because when they had ‘major’ black reporters they were Janet Cooke at WaPo who cooked her stories and got a Pulitzer for faking them (and the paper never caught her lies, but the Pulitzer people caught her false resume–or she would still be happily making up the ‘news’ there now) or Jason Blair at the Slimes, who was also black and a both a plagiarist and liar?
          It’s really how the lefty white guilt-ridden libbies actually feel: they can’t hire a black reporter because they can’t be trusted, but they also can’t criticize ozero because they are really afraid he is an abject failure, a lying goat, who should never have been trusted with the lives of the citizens of the US and the peace of the world, AND HE WOULDN’T BE WHERE HE IS EXCEPT FOR THEIR CHEER LEADING AND LYING TO GET AND KEEP HIM THERE.

• mickeyco

Quite aside from being a downright horrid article, it’s dead wrong. Has the author ever heard of Chicago? Was, is and (except for Rahm) always will be a bastion of Irish Democrat control.

• Kaya Hund

At the same time, I believe it’s the Democrat party that has drifted away from Irish Americans.

• MILEXIT!™

Concise and constructive writing. This should really be required reading at Notre Dame. What a Putz!!! They need an alcohol intervention program at Salon.

• Elizabeth

Who’s next? Italians, Poles, Germans?? How about the French? White tears shed by white liberals who hate themselves. My white self laughs at their guilty, white tears! They are delicious to me.

• unknown

Bringing up Hitler and the Nazis tends to be the go-to insult for Germans.

• https://www.facebook.com/app_scoped_user_id/1307761147/ Don Meaker

Hitler was Austrian.

• peteee363

perhaps he has a point! no, not all irish are bad, just a few of them. oh, isn’t Obama part irish? yep those irish are who I speak of!

• pinupartist

I was going to ask, “When did leftists get so immature, stupid, offensive & ball-less”, but they’re born that way. And they just never grow-up.

Seriously, Salon is little more than the school newspaper at “the barry o university of community division & nationwide theft.” Look who they employ–I gotta think most of what they write starts out in Sharpie on a bathroom wall, or in crayon because there are no sharp implements allowed….

EDIT: Let’s not forget, most of we Irish are Catholic, so that makes it only fair for secular idiots to target us…/sarc/

• rennyangel2

And their publications, newspapers, tv stations, and websites are all 99.99% white, maybe even solidly Irish.

• MILEXIT!™

Saloon Magazine maybe…..

• jaun456

Please do not click on any Salon articles. It just makes them think they have readers.
    Thank you.

• http://youhavetobethistalltogoonthisride.blogspot.com/ keyboard jockey

I don’t. What would be the point in reading any Salon drivel?

• Demoivre

What a shock, another self-loathing leftist…

• http://www.GONINERS.com/ Kristine ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

I am actually disgusted and offended by this. The bigotry, the stereotyping. The hating of “white” people and how it’s just acceptable and if you don’t like it, you need to “lighten up” while they miss the bigger picture of their own intolerance and hate.

Yes, I am of Irish Catholic background and this pisses me off. But I would be just as pissed if it said Italian or Jew or any other group.

• unknown

I roll my eyes when I see PSAs about standing up to bullying, bigotry, intolerance, and whatnot only to read about disgusting articles like this.

• mrspinky85

It’s awful and disgusting. There are black Irish people too.

I know, I am one.

“Black” Irish is from early Spanish conquests.

• mrspinky85

Cool and sorry that some idiot thought it was ok to be disrespectful.

He’s a Liberal, what can we expect? 😀

• http://lordfoggybottom.com/ BlahBlah
        • mrspinky85

Wow someone on the left disrespected Obama. Now, he will apologize. It was ok when he though there is only white Irish people.

• http://lordfoggybottom.com/ BlahBlah

There is no comment section at Salon, or at least none that I saw and I didn’t look very much, but there’s his email address. So I emailed him that link and wrote:

Wow you really hate Obama! Isn’t that like totally racist and stuff?

• mrspinky85

That should be interesting that the rag mag so use to this kind of nonsense might’ve not have thought this article through. New title, “Obama supporter at Salon.com says racist things about the president and resigns.”

• Guest

Good G*d, you are stupid. You can’t even find the comment section on a website or figure out how it works. Really?

“There is no comment section at Salon”

It loads at the bottom of the article, you idiot.

• http://lordfoggybottom.com/ BlahBlah

Guest? Mmmmkay. Obviously you missed parts of my comment where I say or at least none that I saw and I didn’t look very much. Or maybe you just can’t read, idiot.

But now that you pointed out that there indeed is a comment section I went to read. What I saw was truly disgusting. I guess you’re proud of yourself and your Salon crowd.

So let me ask you, would it be OK for me to write an article about black flash mobs terrorizing law abiding citizens or about black teens playing the knockout game and call them What a rag-tag mob of miscreants, hoolingans and sundy ne-er-do-wells filling the bars and elsewhere with their idiotic, ignorant sem-drunk and stupor-inspired antics. <–quoted from your comment section. It is OK right? Why wouldn't it be?

• mrspinky85

Blah don’t worry about this or those idiots. Anyone can act tough behind a computer. I been lurking on twitchy a while before I started commenting and can tell you are far from stupid. They don’t even know how dumb they are still on the plantation as long as Massa keeps giving them little handouts.

• Right Wired ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

I agree completely. And I too, am pissed off that St. Patrick’s’ day has
      become nothing more than excuse of penile-impaired frat boys to binge
      drink while pretending to be Irish.

My ancestors didn’t come to this country so they could be stereotyped as a bunch of stupid, raging drunks.

• mrspinky85

Some don’t even know what the holiday is all about.

For over a decade now I’ve been correcting people when they say “St. Patty’s Day”. I tell them, “It’s PATRICK!!!”

I’ve even written the local news channels when their weather person and news people say “Patty”.

I tell people no one calls that day in January “Marty Lu K Day” and I’m sick and tired of people saying “Patty”. That it’s offensive.

I decided that I needed an ethnic cause to get all PC and offended about, then it started to actually really, really annoy me.

And with the history of Irish-Americans being what it is… “No Irish Allowed”… being portrayed as monkeys in the newspapers… the Molly Maguires…

No, the Irish weren’t slaves, they weren’t owned by people. But they were treated as worse than sh*t buried in mud covered in worms.

Then we organized. Got the word out about voting. Started to get power and turned everything around.

Anyway, yeah, so this article REALLY pisses me off. And what pisses me off even MORE is the 100% lack of coverage by mainstream media. How this is NOT okay. NOT acceptable.

People should be contacting ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, even MSNBC. Through Twitter, Facebook, their websites.. asking them WHY there isn’t a story about the disgusting bigotry and the hypocrisy in attacking Irish Americans.

• http://www.jabootu.com/acolytes/bnotes/ Apostic

I got mixed emotions. I’m a quarter Irish, so I’m a one-fourth righteously indignant over such broad, intentionally hurtful stereotyping born of neurotic self-loathing. On the other hand, I’m half English and therefore twice as amused by this as I am disgusted. (My remaing quarter is German and is too busy working to care either way….)

• sambar2

So, the updated list of people liberals say it’s acceptable to stereotype are:

White American Males
    The Irish

Is that about right?

• unknown

Add Christians and Southerners to this list

• sambar2

Of course, you’re right.

Women are generally off-limits unless they fall into either of those categories.

And of course conservatives of any race, color, creed, or gender are ALWAYS fair game.

• mrspinky85

Add black and female non democrats.

• Jay Stevens

And military.

In short, anyone who is not exactly like them.

• mrspinky85

Add unborn babies too.

• rennyangel2

Fat people, esp. if they are pols., conservatives, Republicans, Texans in general, or anyone who doesn’t live on a Coast.

• Sam701

NC is a coastal state, and they still hate us

And what a state! Furthest at Gettysburg!

• rennyangel2

They just hate in general.

• Ronald Green

Amend that to ‘Southern White American Males’ and I’ll go for it.

• NRPax

Hey, I’m of Scottish ancestry. I already knew that the Irish were disgusting. But only WE can talk about that, not Salon!

• jaun456

You are correct.
      And right back at you:)

• NRPax

(Disclaimer: I also have some English and French in the history but I’ll forgive them since they left that country.)

• http://lordfoggybottom.com/ BlahBlah

I hate the French.

• NRPax

A lot of them work really hard to earn that.

• Jay Stevens

Unfortunately, all too many do not need to.

• carmenta

As an Englishwoman, I reserve the right to bitterly complain regarding the heathen Celts…but I’ll defend any and all of them against the lib/left/prog attack!

• NRPax

Sounds like a fair deal.

• Jaycephus

I think my Irish, possibly Scot-Irish ancestor was shanghaied by the British and brought over for the Revolutionary War.
        Shanghaied FTW!

• rennyangel2

Precisely, and I’m 1/4 Irish and 3/4 Scots, and I’ll still plug for the Anglo-Saxons, too.

• Bill Phillips

I was told by my father that I was Scots-Irish …so where does that leave me? ….LOL

• NRPax

Current Location: S*** Creek
        Warning! Paddles unavailable. Do you wish to continue rowing upwards? (Y/N)

• soozq

Nothing like reinforcing a grand old stereotype with the comment about his alcoholic father. Offensive.

• KBDaBear

Salon now coming to you from the Town of Rock Ridge

• Mark81150 Never/Trump/Hillary

extra points for Blazing Saddles reference.

• Suzyqpie

Joan Walsh showed up on the twitchy lede recently. She, with great pride, was lamenting about her vast fund of knowledge of black history. Hubris can lead people into all manner of imbecility. Salon showcases them.

• mrspinky85

Yea because She somehow is better or different because she learned black history. She is disgusting. If you have to put others down to bring yourself up you are a loser.

• Jay Stevens

Did she learn real black history or the sanitized PC version from “Roots” and “The Butler”?

• mrspinky85

I don’t know. But I enjoyed her beat down on the last article.

• mrspinky85

Wow they dont even hide their prejudices anymore. I didn’t really know the origin of St. Patrick’s day but I looked it up. St.Patrick helped free Irish slaves and spread the gospel by explaining the trinity with a clover. The Catholic church lifted the ban of alcohol during Lent just so people can celebrate.
    I don’t want to hear anything from the left if they don’t vilify this man.

• mrspinky85

They don’t have to substitute black or African. There are black Irish people too.

• mrspinky85
    • Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

There are black Dutch too . . . although they are not actually Dutch . . . and most of them were not black . . . never mind. I have a friend whose ancestors are Irish Gypsy, i.e. ethnically Gypsies who settled in Ireland.

• mrspinky85

That’s cool.

• elHombre

Just another silly journalist projecting. He’s disgusting! Other Americans of Irish descent (WTF is an “Irish-American) like my wife and me are just making wise decisions for the benefit of our children and our country. Among those was to switch from Democrat to Independent.

• mrspinky85

Yea, just because he says he is Irish doesn’t give him the right to spew this BS.

• NRPax

Hey, Salon? I have an idea. Put out an edgy article about “Why are Muslims so disgusting?” next time. That would really be pushing the envelope!

• rennyangel2

They would wet themselves first.

• https://twitter.com/Captain_Cy_kun Cy

So the Irish are disgusting because they’re white and not self-loathing about it? Hm, if only there was a word for making broad generalizations based on nothing but race or ethnicity…

• Maxx

I’m starting to believe that with most uber-liberals who are caucasian, the level of their white guilt is so profound, if they could change their skin color to that of a disenfranchised minority, that’d have done so already.

• mrspinky85

They are the racist they claim conservatives to be. I was never treated worse than by people mad because I don’t like Obama. Sorry, I hold him to the same standards as I did Bush. What happened to all that equality jazz?

He needs to go find a mirror and ask himself that question.

• arttie

He forgot to mention the Irish chauffer, Teddy K.

• NRPax

You mean the Commander of the Chappaquiddick Submarine Fleet?

• jaun456

Nice! :)

• OLLPOH ~ OurLifeLiberty

The Commander of the “Cadillac” Chappaquiddick Submarine Fleet.

FIFY..:’)

• Bill Phillips

ROFL! …that was the first time I heard that moniker for Dead Ted!

• NRPax

Thanks. Came up with it ages ago and seldom get a chance to use it now that he went to the great Happy Hour.

• therealguyfaux ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Or the Austrian Jewish pseudo-Irishman, Gigolo Johnny Ketchup. Hey– if you’re gonna keep up the pretense by continuing to use a name other than that of your ancestors, be prepared for the slings and arrows coming the way of your father’s and your sham-Shamrock ethnicity.

• NRPax

OK, this article has been up for almost an hour and the usual liberals aren’t up here denouncing us because we weren’t equally outraged by something said in an obscure website six months ago that was equally insulting to black people. Wonder if they are sleeping in today?

• mrspinky85

Maybe because they just found out Obama has Irish ancestors and that there are Irish blacks.

• rennyangel2

Or that his numbers (finally!) dropped into the 30s.

• iVillageIdiot

Sure glad a lib rag printed this. Since libs, by self definition, can’t be racist or denigrate specific ethic heritages with historical and factual inaccuracies, this ripe roll of TP is perfectly fine. Had this been published by a conservative outlet, the faux outrage would be dominating the MSM news cycle for weeks.

I have viewed some pathetic attempt’s at click bait but Salon is really inept at the art of getting someone to click on their articles.

• NRPax

They haven’t progressed past the point of “throw something at the wall to see what sticks.”

They seem to be ignorant of who makes up the democrat base.There are many liberal Irish American catholic democrats. But apparently Salon staffers can only can think in small concept’s like black and white.

• craigvan

Salon is so stupid that I keep going back for either laughs or morbid curiosity.
        Seriously, most Irish-Americans are Democrats.

• Ronald Green

Maybe so, but not this one.

• Jake Bradford

What is the difference between Cher, Joan Walsh, & a sewage pond?
      a) a sewage pond actually has a useful purpose
      b) a sewage pond doesn’t hate white ppl
      c) a sewage pond contains much less harmful bacteria
      d) all of the above

The only time I read Salon with any regularity was when Camille Paglia was writing for Salon, and that’s been awhile.

If they had anyone with any writing talent they wouldn’t have to troll for page clicks. IMO.

• mrspinky85

I like her because she thinks for herself instead of being in a bubble the left thinks she should be in.

• Jack Deth

One moment.

*Ahem*

“When did pasty faced, liposuctioned, Botoxed and tummy tucked WASPs become so ridiculously smarmy and disgusting?”

• http://lordfoggybottom.com/ BlahBlah

I feel so left out. WHAT ABOUT SERBS I WILL BEHEAD SOMEBODY BRB

• Bill Phillips

LOL

• Walter Sobchak

Everything he wrote seems to apply more to the Kennedy clan than your average Irish American, although the Kennedy’s were a disgusting bunch going back at least as far as the bootlegging Nazi-symp patriarch, so in their case it’s not a recent development.

• Bombus

Salon is nothing but click bait. It’s like scratching poison ivy; you will only make it worse if you go there. Try and control yourselves.

• Mark81150 Never/Trump/Hillary

Don’t need to go there to denounce epic imbecile.. they wave it like a flag..

• John Smith

Can you imagine if a conservative media source posted an article “How did African Americans get so disgusting?”?The whole world would be screaming racism.

• mrspinky85

There are black Irish people. So, they may retract soon.

• TJ

That must mean that Salon is Racist against Obama. He did say he had some Irish from his mother’s side when he was in Ireland.

• NRPax

Actually, it was that his mother had some Irish in her but who am I to judge?

• Max

Hate

The food of the left.

• Richard J Sunkle

Again.

What would be the response if this idiot asked when African Americans got so disgusting….or Jewish Americans……

• Mark81150 Never/Trump/Hillary

As far as I know, my family is English, Welsh, German… and that was so deeply racistly offensive, if the choad had written women or blacks, he’d never work in politics again, or any profession with a keyboard..

“White tears”? .. what an idiot.. I bet he would have made fun of black Americans when they protested historic racism in print journalism too then?

He hates his race, because they aren’t drunk depressed socialists as he likes em…

I’m certain they welcome his stupidity with all the warmth it deserves, he makes up lies and slanders about the right, then heaps on his own self hatred that his race isn’t sufficiently tamed like the other socialist targets of their “love”..

guy deserves to live in poverty, ashamed to show his face in public.

• nc ✓s & balances

I’m on the west coast, and not a bit Irish, but aren’t a whole lot of New York/Chicago/Boston police and firemen Irish?

• Brown Bear Mike

It was practically a requirement in the 60s and 70s, and is still strong to this day.

• Mark81150 Never/Trump/Hillary

Family traditions.. Police and fire department service runs DEEP among certain families, and not just Irish.. my family has strong ties to the police and military..

For some of us, being neighbors, good ones is a birth right. How better to serve your neighbors than protecting their lives and property?…

Our families go there.. for the left, it’s politics..

I suspect most people find first responders a more noble claim to service than being a Kennedy..

• nc ✓s & balances

And we deeply respect and thank you and your family.

• OLLPOH ~ OurLifeLiberty

Salon, deserves n’er a word that we write, nor a nano second of our time.

• therealguyfaux ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

“Oh, bejayzus, we came to America and succeeded, just in time for it to be held against us! Oh, for the good old days when we Micks were vic’s! ‘Tisn’t me fault I’m not a minority any more! Sure an’ begorrah, If I could be one, I’d rather, instead of successful and powerful, which is what me forebears fought for, saints preserve us!”

Paddy, please.

• OLLPOH ~ OurLifeLiberty

The potatoes over here are much better too, me friend.

• Nan

Maybe he hates green beer.

• Mark81150 Never/Trump/Hillary

or just people in general..

• Janice LEE

Ufff, saloon thinks it’s April Fool’s Day.

• Hey, That’s Pretty Good

So Salon hates Irish Americans. If a Conservative site wrote anything like this, the left would be crying racism and every other name they can think of to attack them.

Any lib trolls around to deflect from this by claiming that Conservative sites say this stuff all of the time with no real proof to back up their claim?

• Jake Bradford

Joan Walsh, communist slag, and the rest of her anti-white racists. This is the total sum of what they do now.

• Lamontyoubigdummy

Don’t look at me…my ancestors packed up that one belonging they had and hitched a boat to the Carolinas during the funckin’ potato famine.

Besides trinkets and the Duty Free shops comin’ to the US out’a Dublin, when exactly is the last time you saw a tag or the back of anything you’ve EVER purchased read: “Made in Ireland”?

Who’s at the dead end of socialism? Who’s beggin’ for yet another EU/ IMF bailout on St. Patricks Day?

• grais

I’ve got a better question.
    How did Andrew Whoeverthehellheis get to be such a pansy-boy?
    Man up, clown!

• http://proof-proofpositive.blogspot.com/ Mike

No Irish need apply at Salon.

• tops116 ✓Quipper

Why would anyone (Irish or otherwise) want to apply at Salon?

I don’t know. I wonder what they would do if some of those awful Kennedys were to apply? I hear they’re a little bit Irish!

• Ntr

It’s time to bring down Salon…expose them, their cultural marxism, and push them straight out of business.

• Norm McDonald

Salon is just part and parcel of the left wing in America…racist pigs. Dispicable….

• CobraJet428
  • Jake Bradford

My mother’s family is Irish. Not that I care what this little cultural Marxist thinks. Some Irish ARE disgusting. Ted Kennedy for example, definitely was.

• tops116 ✓Quipper

How did Salon get so disgusting?

Oh sorry, that implies there was a point where Salon was actually dignified.

• Jake Bradford

Look who the editor is. A demented Marxist witch who uses Salon & MSNBC to spread hate against conservatives & whites…& to deflect from the failures of her pathetic Messiah

• OLLPOH ~ OurLifeLiberty

Hey Salon…got a problem with this, are you saying Prezzie’s disgusting, too???

He’s half white, half black, and claims to have descendants from Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RIbcR5nfc

• Ruth

I’m surprised these white leftists don’t just off themselves since they seem to find ‘whiteness’ so disgusting.

• mrspinky85

Self hate or trying to fit in with what’s popular. They say blacks that don’t toe the line have self hate. I say you can’t be free if you stay on the plantation.

• ProphetForProfit

With March 17th approaching I’m reminded of, “what’s the difference between St. Patrick’s Day and Martin Luther King Day? On St. Paddy’s Day, everyone wishes they were Irish.”

That’s some dark humor.

• ProphetForProfit

That’s why they call me black Irish….

O’Hehir thinks he’s of Irish descent. Do you suppose he’s basing that on what his mother told his father….

• mrspinky85

If Salon was like MLK they wouldn’t have let this article get published.

• topbond101

I think it’s time to change the name of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team. It’s clearly demeaning to Irish Americans. /sarc

• Saito Sama

Forget the conservative BS this WHITE hating racist piece of human waste should be thrown out out of a job. Salon should be treated like any other RACIST publication and closed down. I font know the color of this racist piece of crap but is nothing but WHITE hating at its worst and the people of Irish descent should be as outraged as anyone else of color when crap like this is allowed to be published. Where’s my congressional representatives OUTRAGE about this bigoted WHITE HATERs words???

• Elizabeth

His picture is up above in his tweet. He’s white.

• Expat61

I’m Irish (raised in fly over country, bitterly clinging to my bible and guns), but I thought that Boston, that bastion of Irish Americans, was overwhelming liberal. Kennedy’s anyone? Just sayin’. And, if you want to see racism, you always need to look at the Democratic party, the party of Jim Crow and the KKK. Robert Byrd is burning in hell right now with Nathan Bedford Forrest. And, just to point out to stupid progressives, gun laws were enacted so that blacks couldn’t protect themselves in the south, and Margret Sanger founded Planned Parenthood to make sure that little black and brown babies would be aborted. Racism, thy name is Progressive Democrat.

• therealguyfaux ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Oh, they always voted Democrat– but Google “Boston busing 1970’s” and see what you find about “Southie,” the Irish bastion.

• Expat61

Wow, I guess Democrats all over the country were racists (and still are, just look how they treat Herman Cain, Allen West, Clarence Thomas, and Tim Scott for daring to step away from the Democrat Plantation). One guy said they (the black children) got off the bus to go to his new school and a police officer spit on him.

• Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

I’ve always had mixed feelings about Nathan Bedford Forrest. He was an absolutely brilliant general, the highest ranking general to actually rise up through the ranks, then he goes and founds the KKK to keep those black republicans from voting, besmirching his legacy. I guess like all men, he had his good and bad points.

• Expat61

True, he was a brilliant general, but any legacy he has is permanently tarnished by creating a racist organization that targeted an innocent people who only wanted to be free from the crack of the whip. I believe this sets the scales of virtue against him in the eyes of the Christian God in whose name he perpetrated these cruelties.

• Aitch748

Just another leftist who thinks that HIS brand of bigotry is OK.

Anybody else think he’ll be tweeting within twenty-four hours that the rest of us are a bunch of tools for not understanding that the article was meant as a joke?

• BAW

I wouldn’t even realize this came out just before St. Patrick’s Day except that my daughter, a proud Notre Dame alum is having her annual St. Patrick’s Day party today. I’m not offended because I’m Irish (I may or may not be) I’m offended because I don’t stereotype and disrespect any nationality, race, creed, etc.

• thedumbblonde

Pog Mo Hon.

• Saito Sama

We should contact the leaders of the congressional white caucus and file a complaint. Anyone know who the leaders are ?

• Frustrated Teacher

When you can’t write and you really don’t have any good ideas, you resort to this kind of ‘journalism’ in the hopes that the shock will get you readers….I just ignore sites like Salon….maybe they, like Piers Morgan will fade into irrelevance!

• rivers

Oh man, Salon is self-parody. The Simpson’s nailed these d-bags two decades ago. Homer is watching a black comedian making fun of white people and he says “It’s so true, we’re so lame.”

• Frogmouth

The author closed with calling whiteness a prison. I think that speaks volumes about where this guy is coming from.

• Tyrconnell

And thus he exposes himself as one who, as my Fenian ancestors would say, has taken the Saxon Shilling.

He does appear to have WASP envy.

• Bristel

Póg mo thóin, a Salon.

• mickeyco

amen

• divingpetrel

Dúirt Bhuel! (Faoistin – ní raibh mé ag imirt cothrom. Google aistriú leor cabhrach)

• Bristel

Ná bíodh imní ort. Tuigim. 😉

• Emily B

Let it never be said that black people are the only ones who have faced racism in the past. The Irish have been victims of racism for centuries. A simple Google search will turn up pictures of Irishmen portrayed as apes and signs saying “no Irish need apply”. I don’t understand why I am not allowed to cry racism at every turn and blame it on “the struggle”.

• mrspinky85

You are allowed. But the left don’t see how they could benefit from your victim hood.

• Nan

Along with that was the “No Catholics” signs that excluded many an Irishman.

• unknown

White people suffering discrimination? Surely you jest /sarc.

• Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

Technically, the Irish aren’t a race but an ethnicity . . . they would suffer ethnicism. Okay, I don’t think that is an actual word.

• Jake Bradford

If this article stood on it’s own, that would be one thing. Offensive but whatever. But let’s put this in context of a LONG LINE of articles at Salon bashing white people, some ethnicity of white ppl, etc. They even printed an “essay” on how Breaking Bad was all about how white men are so evil and selfish. It’s endless anti-white propaganda. The editor, a “crazy eyes” hag named Joan Walsh, wrote a whole BOOK titled “What’s The Matter With White People?”

• JR48

Some people just ain’t right.

• AmericanLass

I hope the writer wakes up speaking in an Irish brough for a week.

• http://ConservativeMom.net/ LoriGirl

Why is the beer-drinking, bolo-topped, round-nosed little man in the green plaid suit still acceptable for an image depicting an Irishman? That image is every bit a racial epitaph as is the blackface image.
    Know what the Irish were called in 19th century America? The “N” word. Prior to, they were White Cargo. Look it up.

Ireland Forever! Erin go bragh!

• beachmom H

My mother’s family moved here from Canada in the late 50’s. All Irish and only a generation removed from Ireland. She remembered ads in the papers here in Maine for jobs and housing that said, “Irish need not apply”.
      Thankfully, they didn’t let that stop them.

• Jay Stevens

Salon writer asks: ‘How did Irish Americans get so disgusting?’

From reading too much Salon.

Hey, people. It’s as good an answer as any.

• craigvan

Shouldn’t Salon writers and editors have some shame?
    Joan Walsh actually sells herself as a mainstream left-leaning commentator. Shouldn’t she be embarrassed with a website that posts a headline asking why an entire ethnic group is “so disgusting”?

• Bill Phillips

What would you expect from a Brooklyn Ultra-Liberal!

• beachmom H

Too bad for Salon, most of us of Irish heritage don’t give a flying rat’s butt what left wing libidiots like they think of us. Or what anyone thinks for that matter.
    Look up the history of Irish slaves.
    They’re obviously fighters and not whiners so you go ahead and insult Salon.
    No one cares about you.

• Guest

Aaaaw:

Blaze Analysis: The Catholic Vote Went to Obama Over Romney Despite Contraception & Religious Freedom Debates

A solid chunk of 2012, at least in the theological and political realms, was spent talking about the “War on Religion,” which subsequently — following a spat between radio host Rush Limbaugh and Sandra Fluke — evolved into the “War on Women.” At the center of the contention in both ideological battles, of course, was the Obama administration’s controversial contraceptive mandate.

The Catholic Church, infuriated over the notion that the government would force associated organizations to violate conscience by providing employees with birth control free-of-charge, launched into a nation-side campaign against the provision. Despite a concerted effort on the part of Catholics and evangelicals, alike, to expose the issue as government intrusion on personal and institutional religious liberty, on Tuesday, President Barack Obama still won the majority of the U.S. Catholic vote.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/11/08/blaze-analysis-catholic-voters-chose-obama-over-romney-despite-contraception-religious-freedom-debate/

Ouch! That must hurt.

• Ailsa Nordstrom

Anonymous person, it’s obvious you think you’ve made some kind of point. I’m not sure what it is though.

• Paul C.

Hey troll boy MSNBC is calling you

• Richard Nightwood

And Bark is doing so well these days too.

#39%

• Ryan

As an Irish-American (and I mean actually from Ireland; as in born there) I’ve got to say that it seems like anyone with any Irish surname gets to claim Irishness in America and then say whatever they like about us. The response I always get is “It’s ok, I’m Irish.” No your not!! Your great great grandda was Irish, not you. Having a name like O’Hehir doesn’t get you a pass from being a jerk. I’d love to take this guy to a pub back home in Waterford and then watch him get beat down.

• Joel A. Edge

So….is NINA back?

• Dan13

“Liberal Lion,” Ted Kennedy, (D-Irish-American) drove off a bridge, while drunk. Instead of trying to save his drowning pass anger and her baby, he ran off to establish an alibi. He didn’t call the authorities till the next morning.
    That is actual,real world, disgusting behaviour.

• Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

The Scottish and English side of my ancestry says, “What’s the big deal, the Irish are disgusting.” The Irish side of my ancestry takes umbrage at that. The French side says, “Meh.”

• notenoughtime

Pathetic and ignorant.

• Jake Bradford

When Did Liberals Get So Disgusting?

• Wart

1792.

• LegalizeShemp

Imagine the liberal reaction if somebody said a whole group of people were “disgusting” because a handful of them didn’t agree with that person on public policy issues? The left would go berserk with their “don’t smear a whole group because of a couple bad apples”. The left does this all the time, lectures you on negative stereotypes, then proceeds to use the same tactic in a lame attempt to advance their political agenda.

• nc ✓s & balances

Ah, LS, there you go with that logic stuff again.

• Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

Like they did when a Congressman fraudulently reported hearing a racial slur from Tea Party protesters, and the media labelled the entire Tea Party as racist?

• robert anthony

Gee, you might get the idea that, day after day, leftists spend all their time dividing people up into racially-identified demographics…but that’s not true, is it?

Liberals….always tackling the important subjects!/sarc/

• robert anthony

What’s next in the never-ending ‘I, me, mine,’ style of Salon writing? “Why I hate Irish belly-dancers”?

• Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

This has what to do with this topic, exactly?

• robert anthony

‘The prison of whiteness’…I tried to hop over to the ‘prison of blackness’ for a change…but you need proper ID.

Do you HAVE to be a race-centric dip-sh*t to write for Salon?

• CrashFroelich

I believe the alternative is to have a tenable intellectual argument in support of your opinion. So the answer is “yes.”

• Richard Nightwood

They had invited Joe Biden to talk about his experiences working with that clean and articulate black guy, but Joe couldn’t find his pants again and had to decline.

• robert anthony

I get it…you have to post your non-related partisanship here….because if you had your own website…noone would read you. We understand…and we pity you.

• robert anthony

What did he say?…something like ‘We need Mexicans to clean our houses and do our landscaping?’ – Democrat Alex Sink.

• robert anthony

Why don’t you make your next post all about the greatness of Obamacare? That subject seems, strangely, missing from your screeds.

• robert anthony

“There is simply no place for racism in this party.” – The Democrat Party, on the other hand, has a reserved throne for racism at the head of the table.

• John Thomas “Jack” Ward III

Is this O’Hehir idiot Irish? On behalf of “Jewish Boyos” everywhere, I think he deserves a BROGUE KICK #Sheamus #WWE #WWEUniverse RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES! Jawamax 8<{D}

• Joseph O Morrow

Two of my names, middle and last, originated in Ireland (Olin, Morrow). Attach to that a Hebrew first name (Joseph), and I’m a potential mess!

But we each have a choice, happily, of more than one potential. As many celebrate the usurping patron “saint” of Ireland (the prophet Jeremiah was originally), how many actually know the true origin of this Patrick?

Well, I’ve done a lot of homework on this matter, with more I’d like to do. So I’ll throw out there this much debatable stuff to maybe spark some interest, and possibly release enough truth into the matter to un-distract some individual sufficiently to allow a little truth to cause some much-needed freedom.

• Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

The key to any opportunistic jibe . . . it to wait for the right opportunity. Your efforts at this have failed miserably because you are impatient and thus you look foolish and silly.

• Guest

Waiting for Twitchy to take it down in 3 ……2 …….. 1 ….. We wouldn’t want people to know how racist the Tea Party is, would we?

O, and I think the post fits in quite well with the theme of the story.

@stephenlhall:disqus er, no :)

• Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

Congratulations, you have found one single example out of millions of Tea Party members who has an unfortunate name for a policy of actually deporting illegal aliens. (Mind you, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that he was a Democrat plant to smear the movement.) Compared to hundreds of prominent liberal racist statements, and an almost daily occurrence at Salon, in particular the actual topic here of a Salon article slurring Irish-Americans as disgusting.

You would justify Salon’s ethnic disparagement by citing a guy in Montana who disparaged another ethnicity. That is a completely irrational diversion from the topic.

• Nahalban

Considering you spam twitchy with all sorts of repetitive articles that are at best nonsensical you should consider yourself lucky they don’t take your posts down at the first flag that comes along.

• robert anthony

Oh yeah, racist!…you guys are the erectile dysfunction of ‘debate and real solutions’. Example, Paul Ryan talks about the increasing poverty in inner-cities (with 5 years of a black President?..how can this be!?!)..is called a racist immediately by Demorats with no plans, no brains, no ethics, and no solutions. Thanks for playing.

• https://youtu.be/h82D5ZvcALM CrustyB

I read Salon once (mostly by accident.) Half the articles were false accusations of racism, the other half were white-on-white racism.

• Jake Bradford

So 1 Tea Party wannabe makes the whole Tea Party racist…but hundreds of examples (from Sanger to LBJ to Dingy Reid to Biden to Sharpton & on and ON and ON) of Democrat racism doesn’t make Democrats racist. Right?

• robert anthony

All Demorats must be, by their own logic, treasonous drunkards who drive off roads and leave their dates to drown.

• Nahalban

Oh sure fine make fun of the first slaves in the Americas just as long as you don’t make fun of the second bunch of slaves.

• MarxMarvelous

Substitute Irish with Jeu and Presto! You’re an anti-semite!

• Stephen L. Hall #NonquamTrump

Anti-Irishite just isn’t catchy enough; liberals can only support a cause if it sounds catchy.

• Nahalban
  • James Perley

The liberal side is going through a hard time right now. Their assumptions are being proven false. Racial attacks are about all they have left.

• lilwren

…ever had, ever have, ever will have…

• mrspinky85

I think people should com out and vilify this nonsense. They have to expose the hypocrisy of the left to show their low info voters that their side isn’t superior as they think. He shouldn’t get away with this garbage.

• daveachicagoareajamerican

What about the Kennedys?

One was a bootlegger.
    One (or more) had extra marital affairs.
    One (or more) had alcohol or drug problems.
    One (or more) have been accused of, or convicted of, sexual assault.
    One drove his car off a bridge and killed a woman.
    One was convicted of killing his neighbor after escaping justice for decades.

And this is only the crap we know about.
    The Kennedys are Irish.
    The Kennedys are Democrats.

But THEY aren’t disgusting!
    Because they’re Democrats.

• beachmom H

Mary Jo Kopechne was unavailable for comment.

• irishgirl91

So his head will explode when he meets this brown skinned Hispanic/Irish pro-gay marriage, pro 2A Libertarian? Maybe, if I hold my breath before I start screaming at him how his pseudo intellectual, beta male diatribe is making me sick to my stomach. Then I could look like the “typical” red faced Fox host.

• Spasmolytic

Last I checked Irish Americans are well educated and most them don’t collect a welfare check. I can’t say the same for other groups in this country.

• ISurvivedaBlueState

This is part of the bizarre/random liberal hatred of any sort of “white” culture. Non-white cultures = so adorable and let’s celebrate diversity! Any whites, on the other hand, who aren’t “genderless and infertile” (thanks Putin!) are a threat to liberals’ worldview (i.e., white liberals as the ultra-civilized ruling class, where all whites have lesbian haircuts and claim a third gender and wear hipster glasses and never actually interact with any sort of culture.)

• Jer

When did it become such a shocking revelation that Salon publishes tripe written by idiots?

• Jake Bradford

They also all seem to be written by losers living in NYC, too. No wonder DeBlasio was elected.

• Ironside

Didn’t even Obama play up his Irish roots while visiting his maternal “ancestral homeland” a couple of years ago?

• Ms. Abigail van Beagle

You mean O’Bama?

• Patrick J.

Uhh… whitey bulger anybody? Oh, right, that’d be the embarrassment of democrat politics.

• lilwren

po’g mo tho’in

• mrs_oerebts

He forgot Chris Matthews in his list of Irish broadcasters. But I guess he’s on the “correct” side.

• John Kenner

Here’s an inexpensive resource, formatted for smartphones, that is useful for educating younger people on the basic ideas of Western civilization: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094KY878

• Wonder Pony

If my Irish third does this it’s “disgusting”. If my Narragansett .078291% does it, “It’s DIVERSITY” and “Celebrating my culture”. Yay.

• ruralcounsel

If Salon writers ever got out into America and made sure everyone knew who they were …. the greeting they would get it would be reminiscent of the AAA fire over Baghdad in 1991 or a street foot patrol through Fallujah in 2003. They’d have to beat feet back to wherever they came from in order to survive. With luck, they wouldn’t.
    Go peddle your trash to someone who cares what you think, Salon.

• porgiefirefighter

Irish need not apply at Salon. Disgusting.