Wow is right. President Obama declined to comment on the AP phone records scandal today.
Yes, there is a new report. And it appears to be devastating.
The Washington Post is reporting that the CIA asked the Associated Press to sit on a story about the Yemen terror plot bust until the White House was ready to spike the football.
The CIA officials, who had initially cited national security concerns in an attempt to delay publication, no longer had those worries, according to individuals familiar with the exchange. Instead, the Obama administration was planning to announce the successful counterterrorism operation that Tuesday.
AP balked and proceeded to publish that Monday afternoon. Its May 2012 report is now at the center of a controversial and broad seizure of phone records of AP reporters’ home, office and cellphone lines. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said the unauthorized disclosure about an intelligence operation to stop al-Qaeda from detonating explosives aboard a U.S. airliner was among the most serious leaks he could remember, and justified secretly obtaining records from a handful of reporters and editors over a span of two months.
Wait, what? According to lying liars in the Obama administration, AP phone records were probed to uncover a leak that put the country at risk. Yet, reportedly the story was published after the AP was told, by the CIA, that there was no longer a risk. And after the AP had already sat on the story for five days.
It seems the real “risk” here was the Obama administration missing a chance to gloat and pat itself on the back first.
Am I understanding that correctly? The CIA went on bargaining with the AP after the security worries had evaporated, purely in the interest of preventing the administration from being scooped on its glorious “plot foiled” announcement the next day? (John Brennan ended up on “Good Morning, America” the next morning to crow about the intel victory.) And when the AP didn’t comply — even though it had been, apparently, entirely cooperative up to that point — the DOJ went hunting for its phone records without so much as a polite request first? Also, who was the “administration official” in the White House that couldn’t wait more than five whole minutes after the news broke for Team Obama to take credit, six months out from an election?
If true, this is beyond scandalous: Read the whole thing.
Allahpundit and other Twitter users break it down further.
Bingo. The risk was to the Obama administration’s thunder.
But what about the original leaker and any national security risk?
Citizens are outraged by this latest bombshell.
A chilling retaliatory snit fit. This is Obama’s America?