There was plenty of applause for Planned Parenthood and its president Cecile Richards Wednesday night at the DNC, and boos for Mitt Romney and his plan to “get rid of Planned Parenthood” and repeal Roe v. Wade. “Why are we having to fight in 2012 against politicians who want to end access to birth control?” Richards asked. “It’s like we woke up in a bad episode of Mad Men.”

Richards name-checked Rep. Todd Akin early on in her speech but managed to overlook Margaret Sanger in her remarks on the founding of Planned Parenthood.

Richards’ appearance followed that of NARAL’s Nancy Keenan on Tuesday.

  • Josephine (D)

    Okay, Mrs. Richards, let me explain this to you sloooowly: no Republican is campaigning to ban your precious birth control. The controversy is over whether the government should force people to provide in healthcare plans something that their faith rejects. Besides, doesn’t your organization, like, give out condoms and the Pill for extremely low prices? I mean, I know I’m just a stupid Republican and therefore not a real woman because I respect all humans and their consciences and religious views, but, I think I’m right.

  • grais

    She’s almost as ignorant as Cher. Where do they Get this nonsense?

    • ZoriahShepard

      Oh they just make it up as they go along then they hope it sticks.

  • nc

    After making this claim, she then “sealed the deal” by reminding the delegates of the famous speech her mother, Ann Richards of Texas, gave 24 years ago. She teared up and had them cheering. Facts? Who cares.

    • TugboatPhil

      It’s tragic that Ann had a spawn. She was one vile woman.

  • Richard Jefferies

    Just like Michelle outright lying about their poverty, the left is unconcerned with truth.

  • weRbroke

    97% of all services for pregnant women coming from Planned Parenthood is ABORTION. The other 3% is for prenatal or adoption referrals. out of 3 million in contraceptive clients every year, less than 700 women opted for sterilization and around 4000 men get a vasectomy.
    They rely on a cheap source of BC pills and charge a sliding fee based on income. Their lowest price is still higher than Walgreens low cost generic. Most women in poverty opt for Medicaid where they get their crotchcare at a regular medical clinic.
    Public health at the county level has been offering free BC for decades for ANY woman, no income limits. funding for Planned Parenthood is a redundant budget expense in government.
    I would still be totally behind keeping the funding intact or even bumping it up for county health programs. for women. The nature of the private/public alliance is expensive and wrought with fraud and abuse, and it has proven to be a lobby interest that has attempted to DIVIDE the nation on an issue that really does NOT have to be part of the Democrats platform.
    Women are not losing the right to get Birth Control at all. It’s a right we have held in our hands since the 60’s and as long as we are willing to advocate for low cost solutions that we control with our own MONEY, no one can come between us and our personal right to obtain birth control pills.

  • disappearing moderate

    I’m basically pro choice although I am a lot more pro responsibility for those who don’t wish to be parents, but I’ve always viewed abortion as a painful private choice for those who feel they are out of other options, not something to be celebrated, used as a political rallying crime or paid for by those whose conscience dictates otherwise. This phony war on women is giving me a headache.